Hot-pockets (or anterior ankle impingement) are brutal in their longevity and recurrence. There is no quick fix for Hot-pockets and it will always be an injury with a long recovery period. There are however, things you can do to try to improve your recovery time. Here are six steps you can use to heal your hot-pocket.
- Rest! Let it heal for about 3 weeks.
- Mobilize, do mobility exercises as shown in the video.
- Foam rolling, also to increase mobility.
- Strengthen. Make sure you don’t turn in a couch potato.
- Don’t stretch your calves!
- Avoid pain!
As you are probably aware, prevention is better than cure and the best way to reduce the risk of injury is with a proper warm up. Check out Skateboardphysio’s post about ‘warming-up’ for more information.
For more detailed info on how to heal your hot-pocket? Check out this video I helped Matt Bear make for his website The Daily Push.
Stay strong, keep skating.